- (5 tablespoons) Pork Fat (Unrendered Lard)
- (1 tablespoon) lemon juice
- (2) garlic cloves, minced
- (1/4 teaspoon) curry powder
- (1/2 teaspoon) coarse salt
- (1/4 teaspoon) ground black pepper
- (1 1/2 pounds) Gyro Meat
- (1 cup) plain yogurt
- (1 cup) sour cream
- (1/2) cucumber, shredded, with excess liquid squeezed and drained
- (2) green onions, minced
- (1 tablespoon) mint, freshly chopped or dried
- iceberg lettuce, shredded
- (1) tomato, thinly sliced
- (1) cucumber, thinly sliced
- (1) sweet onion, thinly sliced
For Seasoned Lamb:
- Whisk together 3 tablespoons of TF lard, lemon juice, garlic, curry powder, salt, and pepper.
- Place the TF lamb in a bowl, add the mixture and stir until the meat is well coated.
For Minted Cucumber (Tzatziki) Sauce:
- Mix yogurt, sour cream, cucumber, green onions, and mint together, cover, and refrigerate while you prepare the sandwich fillings and cook the meat.
To Assemble the Gyros:
- Preheat heavy skillet; warm the remaining lard.
- Add the seasoned lamb mixture and toss while sautéing to desired stage of doneness.
- Warm the pitas, cut of the top corner of the pockets, and place the cooked lamb inside.
- Add the lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and sliced raw onion.
- Add a generous portion of the minted cucumber sauce, and if desired, garnish with extra mint.