Smothered Cube Steak
February 18, 2022 • 0 comments
- (2 pkgs, with 2 steaks per pkg (can increase or decrease based on need)) Cube Steak
- (8 to 16 oz) Mushrooms (optional)
- (1, sliced) Onion
- (1 Tbsp) Meat seasoning (see recipe or use whatever garlic/onion blend you have to use up!)
- (1/4 cup) Flour (can sub gf flour)
- (2 Tbsp or olive/grapeseed oil) Rendered Tallow, 8 oz
- (2 cups) Simple Beef Bone Broth, 32 oz
- (1 tsp) Onion powder
- (1 tsp) Garlic powder
- (2 tsp) Worcestershire sauce
- (4 Tbsp) Butter
- (3 Tbsp) Cornstarch or arrowroot powder
This recipe is very versatile with super fast substitutions and a slow cooker option if you prefer.
- Optional: cover the steaks with saran wrap and use a meat tenderizer to pound the steaks to an even thickness, about a 1/2 inch.
- Season the cube steaks. Use a steak seasoning or a garlic/onion type seasoning you want to use up or combine the following: 1 tsp brown sugar, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp paprika. Then cover with flour.
- Tip: Let them acclimate for 20-30 min at room temperature and dry off with paper towels pre-seasoning.
- Heat 2 Tbsp tallow or high heat oil in a cast iron skillet or heavy bottom pan over medium-high heat. Sear 2 steaks at a time for about 3 minutes per side. When finished searing both sides, place on a plate and cover with foil to rest.
- Tip: overcooking can cause them to be tough. Worried about them being tough? Use the slow cooker instead!
- Any burnt pieces can be removed from the pan, then add 2 Tbsp butter over medium heat and add the onions and mushrooms. Cook for 15-25 minutes or until they reach your desired level of doneness.
- Whisk together 3 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot with 1/4 cup cold water. Mix in 2 cups beef broth, onion powder, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce. Add this gravy mixture to the onion/mushrooms when they are done cooking and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Add the steaks and any of their juices to the gravy and cook through until gravy has reached desired thickness (or top steaks with gravy if you don't want to turn any of your crispy steak edges mushy). Optional: remove from heat and mix in 2 Tbsp of cold butter for a better consistency ("monter au beurre" is what the chef's call it)
- Serve with mashed potatoes, riced cauliflower or buttered noodles.
Rushed for time:
In the skillet recipe above you can skip breading the steaks and just fry them.
Use cream of mushroom soup or golden mushroom soup plus one dry packet of onion soup mix instead of making your own gravy (still season steaks with salt and pepper).
Throw the seasoned steaks, can of mushroom soup and dry onion mix in slow cooker on Low for 6-8 hours or High for 4 hours. Top with fresh mushrooms before cooking to make it a little more "homemade-y".